Thursday 23 August 2012

A new adventure awaits

Six months ago I decided that six years in the same school was possibly a little too long, despite the school being the best place I've ever worked at-amazing staff, students, location.





At the same time, I was feeling a little burnt out by London Town and needed to find a new environment to test my teaching skills.

The Misses would only consider moving to New York, as alongside London it's the best place for Contemporary Artists (like herself) to be. Unfortunately for her, I would need a masters degree to teach there. We kept on the look out on TES and whilst jobs did crop up in Doncaster, London and Rugby, three locations/schools made the shortlist:

  1. Mongolia
  2. Seychelles
  3. Amsterdam

Mongolia-Beautiful country which we visited on honeymoon. Apparently it is sub-zero for 6 months of the year with lows of -30 though. To top it off, Ulaan Battaar ranks in the top 10 most polluted cities in the world, this is mainly because they burn anything and everything to keep warm including plastic, waste and rubber tires! Not good if you want to keep your respiratory functions in tip top shape.


Seychelles-Another beautiful country, hot all year round. Slightly remote given that it's in the middle of the Indian Ocean. This also meant that it relies heavily on imported goods. The cost of living as a westerner can be quite high (£10 for a jar of Nescafe Gold or £3.50 for a pepper, hotels start at £200 a night) and the wage is comparatively quite low compared to London and all the places we were looking at. Then again, the big trade off is that we would be living on a paradisaical island with a lot less stress. This would give us both a perfect "pause" from our regular hardcore schedule.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEja8SW64PyMGQgTma7yyTh5Tp7TBgU3ru1fyEAgxx_VtoHS4FPnWC5ZPScYen9e6NaQ0amu5R44YbZivuS8cKT1RVZrAA93wiFc2DWbbYUC5qFWBn3_OV_XAyFl_OGmKTHR4_STbiajmiiJ/s1600/Anse+Lazio.jpg

Amsterdam-Well the Seychelles interview lasted 2 hours and although it took a while for them to get back to me, they did and I was offered the job. I was pretty speechless but obviously kept it cool on the phone. When I hung up, I think I was more relieved than anything else. I didn't get around to send my CV to Amsterdam.

A new adventure awaits on Praslin, Seychelles.

  Leisure Girl on Anse Lazio beach, Praslin – Seychelles

No comments:

Post a Comment